Reindeer Skin Parka
Humans have been using animal skin in arctic regions for hundreds of years. Due to the fact it’s the only thing that withstands the extreme winter temperatures. The Reindeer Skin Parka is a unique item of clothing, very few people worldwide own one. The art of making the Reindeer Skin Parka is fading away, thus making Wild Spirit Bushcraft one of only a handful of company’s worldwide that hand make and sell them to the public.
For this reason, the coat is made from reindeer calf skins only. We buy the skins off the Sami Reindeer herders, here in Jämtland Sweden. Sami Laplanders who have also depended on reindeer herding and fishing for centuries. As a result, it supports them indirectly, which contributors to the sustainability of indigenous peoples.
Furthermore, Northern peoples have depended on Reindeer/caribou for food, clothing, and shelter. Subsequently, hunting wild reindeer and herding of semi-domesticated reindeer is important to arctic peoples. Our village of Ottsjö regularly have herds of reindeer roaming through at certain months of the year. Because they’re laid back nature, the animals graze quietly. Enabling you sometimes to get quite close to them.
In addition, the Parka can withstand temperatures as low as minus -50 degrees Celsius. For this reason, the Parka is perfect for any arctic expeditions. Besides the coat being warm, it is also surprisingly light, around 2-3 kg. In contrast, even the basic Parkas will out surpass the best Canada Goose.
Made to order
Basic Parka start from 18500 SEK
Detailed Parka up to 100000 SEK
- A deposit of 5000 Swedish Kr is needed to make an order, for a basic parka, more of a deposit on detailed parkas.
- Any Coloured lining can be chosen, for the lining.
- Fur Ruff is extra. Can be chosen within reason. Wolverine, Wolf, Coyote, rabbit fox, etc.
- Payment in full when the coat is finished.
- Regular contact and updates along with Images of the coat on completion sent.
- Coats are hand made.
- Parkas are made to measure.
- Measurements are required.
- All measurements have to be accurate
- Parkas usually take a month to make.
- Does not include P&P
- Pockets snow flaps
- Chest Pockets
- Long Back Inuit style
- Detailed Inlays
- Moose or bone arrowhead buttons etc.
- Wolverine Ruff /Coyote/ Wolf/ White Fox hood Ruff
- leather platted hood ties
- Seem Inlays
- Open Fronted / Buttons / zip
Please contact us directly with your Enquiry
Furthermore, we make basic parka’s as well as detailed more intricate design. Although the price can depend on your size. To clarify, if your XXL extra-large, then more skins are required, affecting the price. If you decide to order, a deposit is required, and detailed measurement information will be required.
The Reindeer Skin Parka In person Course
- Introduction into the skills
- Traditional methods of making fur clothing.
- Learning about reindeer skins,
- Equipment and Materials including reindeer skins
- Methods and techniques.
Wild Spirit Bushcraft offer applicants a unique course opportunity to hand-make their own parka. Additionally, time will be spent discussing all the techniques involved when making this beautiful garment. For those with no previous sewing knowledge, help will be given, along with all equipment needed to complete one.
Course times: 10:00 – 5pm daily
Duration: 5-day Full board
Contact us for more details
The 5-day course will be held in Jämtland which is situated in the Beautiful wilderness village of Ottsjö. Options include full board or self-catering.
Price on request
Places: minimum of 1 to 10
Online Course Coming Soon
The course is currently being edited Please subscribe to our you Tube Channel, to stay in the loop regarding this. Reindeer Skin kits will also be available to purchase along with the course.